19 September 2008

I'm developing worldliness

OK, that Rome hostel actually sucked. Of course, the other hostellers were fantastic and varied. France + Quebec + Singapore + Kansas + dinner + gelato + an Irish pub in Rome = great night. Charles from France (yes I called him Chuck) and I pursued a nice discussion of existentialism and literature over a Strongbow (oh yes) and a Guinness (natch†) while an Italian who could not speak English did a surprisingly awesome job of covering Elvis and his contemporaries. I also got a hug from a guy from Ohio by finding his specs when they fell on the floor. The entire bar applauded my efforts. I am famous.

(Rome was sweet. L'aquila, too.)

I will surely post about the individuals I met; they've been the most exciting. Roma Inn brought a few, the doctoral symposium brought a few, and hopefully so does Albergo Paolo here in Florence. We shall see. Stay tuned for my dossiers.

But – back on topic – that hostel sucked. It was alright, but I've now learned, having just arrived in my Florence hostel, that hostels get much, much better. Wireless in my room, no plaster falling from the walls not featured in the online photos, no lame techno, door locks (nice), lockers (nicer), home-made breakfast as opposed to old cereal (nicest?), and location. This place is a welcome sight.

(Conference went well.)

† - I've been dying to use that word. Also, the Wiktionary usage example is hilarious.

3 comments:

hootenannie said...

"natch" = the highlight of my day :)

Unknown said...

Life is good, yes? I look forward to your safe arrival, son, and to giving you my "glad you are back home safe again" hug, natch.
Luv, Mom

Lindsey said...

Florence! Send that fair city my love. I hope you're having fun. I;m so jealous.