18 December 2009

it was only a matter of time


My thumb became painful after so much programming. A little searching indicates it was a "sprain". The app I use most had me moving my left thumb over to the option key very regularly. It started to cramp up and hurt when I did so.

I saw Phil yesterday and that reminded me that some people change the caps lock key to be other things, since caps lock is so worthless. OS X actually supports this directly in the Keyboard preference pane, so now my caps lock key is just another option key. My thumb feels better already.

It feels hopeful.

† You can change other "modifier" keys too: control, option, and command.

1 comment:

Philip Weaver said...

So which key is Meta? And what Emacs do you use?

I use Emacs v23 built as a .app with Cocoa support.
In Cocoa Emacs, I have Command as Meta (and that makes a bug difference), but in a terminal I have option/alt as Meta.