04 January 2008

Tipping Folly

NYC is a tippy place, and I've already screwed up twice.

For the shuttle from the airport to Midtown, I made my reservation online, including tip. But dispatch didn't tell the driver that, so I had to say, "I already tipped you $3 online." How lame must that sound? Moreover, my "proof of purchase" didn't show the tip, so I'm not even sure he got it. And what if he didn't deserve $3?

I took a surprisingly awesome free tour of the Grand Central Terminal neighborhood. The guide was excellent, but I didn't have any cash. Free meant free right up until he finished and I realized "He did so well! I'll give him a good tip... err." I darted off both out of embarrassment and in search of an ATM. Found one, but it only leaked $20s.

Lessons I've learned so far: tipping in advance/online and neglecting tip cash just because a service is free are both unsmart.

On a related note, I rarely feel comfortable when deciding how much. Tight wads aren't cool. Big tippers try too hard. And rarely will I tip if I know someone makes full wages. I'm pretty sure Sonic Drive-In workers make full wages. What about those restaurants where you order at the register? I've actually asked "Do you make full wages?" before – yep, I'm that uncouth. Fortunately, it was a high school kid who didn't realize that I was really asking "Should I give you extra money?"

Anyone know of a general rule/resource for knowing who to tip and how much?

5 comments:

Emily Claire said...

http://www.findalink.net/tippingetiquette.php

a ridiculously comprehensive tipping guide. i've been really into etiquette recently, and most etiquette books will go even further into detail.

have a glorious time in New York! I'm jealous.

StPatsAuction said...

I'm no expert and having worked in the service industry I'm a bit more liberal than most with the tipping...but generally I think if someone has provided you with a service and done it well, tip. Examples: servers, cab drivers, valets. Examples of no tip: people who work the register.

Kellen Voss said...

Maybe I'll get you a tipping calculator. I wonder if they have it so it tells you how much is good in which situations.

VDowney said...

Loved the tipping etiquitte website as recommended by lovely Emily, but I'm irritated that "swim lessons instructors" are under a "no tipping" category. Total crap. We're very deserving.

hootenannie said...

But a tree that becomes paper that becomes a tree again? That, my friend, is the circle of life.

Don't worry, Lawrence - my Seattle granola tree-hugging aura runs deep. I recycle. :)

I didn't tip my barista this morning. All she did was hand me a cup so I could go fill it.