25 September 2009

will of the gods!

I just had four standoffs in a row with Jupiter.
  1. Turning right on the leash. It took about 15 minutes of a circle for him to give in, and I didn't even actually wait until he was preventing any leash tension, just until he significantly improved.
  2. Shake. Before we go in the door, I make him sit. He was really reluctant, so I commanded him to shake also. That took about 10 minutes.
  3. Down. Then, before feeding we do a series of commands. He already sat, so I said down. That took 35 minutes.
  4. Sit. I wanted to make sure he didn't go down just because he gave up on sitting (because he was starting to doze off, which was kind of cute), so I said sit. I gave up after 25 minutes and shuffled into him (I had gone down to my knees a while ago – standing for 50 minutes got boring) in order to make him do it. Then he shook, down, sat, shook, stood, sat, shook, and stood with quick responses but very slow movement. Then I let him eat; he hopped to that.
These commands are all normally immediately and quickly obeyed. Recently he's been testing me, but tonight was just ridiculous. It was 2 hours from walking out the door to him eating! Sheesh. Working on the turning right was new tonight, so I think that put him in a disobedient mood.

I don't feel great about entering standoffs, but I'm trying to reinforce that my commands are absolute and that it's more him choosing to obey that I'm looking for and less me physically posturing him. Instead of "sit", waiting, and then putting him in a sit with the leash or by tucking his back legs with my arm, I've been waiting until he obeys. That has been a matter of seconds, especially once I move to be right in front of him (he's usually looking out through of the glass door).

I hope this incident doesn't repeat itself, gods willing.

2 comments:

MM said...

Jupie!!! Aww I miss Jup.

Jamie Light said...

Everyday, JD and I walk past a collage on the wall of the building we work in. This collage is compiled of photos of puppies, and at the bottom right corner is a group of Saluki's. And everyday we say, "Awww...Jupiter!"