04 February 2008

I fail my words

I feel a bit like an ass when I link a word to its definition as I do in some of my posts. When I do so, it is my way of saying, "Hey! Did you know this word? I didn't." Just had to get that out there.

I mentioned Benjamin Barber's book Consumed in one of those lifestyle posts. He's smart. He used big words. Here's the ones that were new to me. While I "had a feeling" for some of them, there was never much confidence.
  1. Something exhibiting exigency is something urgent.
  2. A depredation is a raid.
  3. Succor is synonymous with relief.
  4. A crass person has less than honorable intentions.
  5. To redress is to make right.
  6. By dint of means the same as because of.
  7. A paean is an expression (a song, it seems) of triumph.
  8. Someone with fealty has some serious loyalty.
  9. To limn is to describe.
  10. Mendacity is untruthfulness.
  11. Something coterminus has the same boundaries as the primary subject.
  12. A coeval is a contemporary, and anything coeval is also contemporaneous.
  13. Seditious words support rebellion.
  14. Establishing hegemony attains a strong position of control.
  15. Something facile is too simple, too easy. [An ironic definition considering this post, eh?]
  16. Something fustian is presented as if it's really important, like inspirational and grand words.
  17. Imprimatur is one's approval, the "go ahead."
  18. Something fecund is fertile or prolific, especially with regard to intellectual matters.
  19. A polemic is an ardent refutal of an opinion or principle (or the author of such a counter argument).
  20. The commonweal is the public well-being. Weal can also occur by itself just as would well-being.
I'm glad there was a round number of these words. I Googled for these definitions, so they are gleaned from Merriam Webster, the free dictionary, and others. Merriam Webster was pretty awesome.

No comments: