13 June 2008

Advice is tricky

Randy Pausch is stunning. Adrienne sent me this WSJ article a while ago (weeks? months?).

One piece of advice Dr. Pausch has chosen to pass along to his children stuck out to me.
Tell the truth. All the time.
This is about the only rule I'm sure about in life. It doesn't (ever) keep things simple, but that's not the point. Telling the truth – all of it – comes from respect. I respect you. And I respect that I am incapable of determining what you do and do not need to know. Only you can do that, so I opt for fully-informed cooperation.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a good policy. I like your new picture. It makes me miss Kansas more than I already do.

Emily Claire said...

I have a question: how can you be sure that the truth that you experienced is the truth? Is truth the same for everyone?