08 March 2009

en passant

Also in the funny friend department, Parker landed a good one.

(yelling to upstairs) Parker: What are you doing Sunday?
(yelling from upstairs) Tyler: I'm busy, some of my co-workers are coming over to celebrate my birthday.
(quietly, to me) Parker: When was his birthday?
Me: It's Monday... as is mine.
Parker: Aww shit. I just betrayed the fact that I didn't remember yours by trying to hide from Tyler that I didn't know his. Fuckin' en passant bullshit.

It took me a while to understand the appropriateness of the en passant reference, but once I thought about it, it was genius.

This is not the right way to recount such a funny situation.

3 comments:

dn said...

can anyone tell me how to pronounce "en passant"? I've wanted to know since, like, 5th grade.

Nicolas Frisby said...

I asked a friend.

en like en garde, the English pronunciation of pass, and then the same en noise from before. I'm not sure if there's a little t action at the end or not.

kate said...

no t at the end. :)