21 March 2009

happiness is complex

I realized I want a porch on my house, with a sidewalk. (Rory shared a related article.)

I got to thinking and imagined a visitor to my porch challenging my porch lifestyle (on my porch! the nerve): something about missing out on all the history, culture, and other things happening out there. Then I envisioned my response – more as an abstract, fuzzy bag of words than something I feel like serializing here. The visitor responds, "You're not a 'happy person' are you?"

I'm writing about my answer to that question.

Math is a comfort zone for me, but imaginary numbers are just weird. Applications of complex numbers (the sum of a real number and an imaginary number) do, however, abound in engineering. I got quite familiar with them in electromagnetics. They do have a fun history and are an important part of my favorite formula (snort snort heh), an instance of Euler's.
-1 = ei π
Just look at all the pieces!

The Ol' WP says Descartes called them imaginary in a derisive manner, which returns us to the porch. I use it derisively here as well. I am happy. I am finishing up my second 16 hour car ride this week and I've been cheerful throughout! It's the big picture, fluffy, abstact stuff that weighs me down. I feel happy about the day-to-day and struggle with the imaginary, speculative, ethical stuff.

I started off trying to say that my happiness was a number like day-to-day.speculative for emphasizing that the day-to-day is more important, but the whole radix system didn't work on any more levels. Then I remembered complex numbers.

So my happiness is a complex number (OMG, right?). The real part is a hefty positive number for my day-to-day happiness. My negativity is in the imaginary part. And here comes the clever, optimistic part. Multiplying conjugate complex numbers eliminates the imaginary part: perhaps pair bonding relieves some of the negativity associated with an muddled future. So, if two people are a good match (conjugal even), i2=-1 kicks in and the negativity of the product of their happinesses is eliminated. (The details fall apart on this model if you push too hard...)

/me bows. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Thank you.

3 comments:

Gina said...

So, if someone was super happy, and happy in such a way that if multiplied with your unhappiness it would cancel out your unhappiness imaginary number, would they have a negative imaginary number in their complex equation? (For example, if you were a 4 + 2i and they were a 4 - 2i, you'd be a happy 20 combined?) Ok, I just re-read it, and yes, that's what you said. You used "negativity" and "eliminated" in the same sentence, and my mind got twisted in the double negative is positive thing.

-GP
wringemi

StPatsAuction said...

You're a nerd.

Adrienne said...

What an interesting idea.

I too, get caught in the imaginary-land of languages (mine's not mathematical though). I start to kill myself when I think that all letters and languages are symbolic and thus, imaginary and malleable over time and nothing really has concrete meaning and it's all so subjective and can nothing be taken literally and is there then any real Truth and oh no my head hurts